Rain in Porto

I successfully navigated the train station this morning with my heavy suitcases and rode the super comfortable, smooth and clean train from Lisbon to Porto.  I took the concierge's advice (I can be taught!) and just got a "tourist class" ticket, as he said it was unlikely the train would be crowded and it wouldn't matter.  And he was right.  No one next to me on the train; in fact, I think everyone had an empty seat alongside.


Rain was in the forecast, and about 1/2 hour before arriving in Porto, the train windows were getting really wet.  And this isn't a misty light rain, it's a downpour.  My taxi from the train couldn't get down to the riverfront street where this week's apartment is located, so I arrived soaking wet and happy I have plastic suitcases to keep the contents dry.

looking "up river" or inland (which is to say, away from the Atlantic)

My requirement for this, as with the other apartment rentals, was a view.  And I have a spectacular one!  A view so good that even in the rain I think I can look out that window and paint and love being here.  Which, looking ahead at the forecast, may be a very good thing.  Fingers crossed that tomorrow the rain does end at some point and that the threat of rain later in the week is an idle one.  But it'll be just fine anyway.  I did pack rain gear and an extra pair of sneakers so I can alternate wet and dry ones.


There's a ton of boat traffic, even as most of the tourist boats sit at the docks, and directly across from me is an aerial tram.  Waterbirds are swooping (which makes me wonder about keeping those French doors open, hmmm).  Now that I'm a little drier and the sky seems a little clearer than when I arrived, I am going to head out in the rain for the nearest wine bar to get some food and then settle in to unpack.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts