Painting Boats again


I was up last night until 2:30 am painting boats.  I know how easily I get lost in all the layers of overlapping boats and rigging and buoys  when painting boats and I wanted to take my time and work through the mess.  That effort paid off this morning, when I went to the entrance to the marina and I felt ready to set up and take on another boat painting.  The first painting is from this morning, the second one is the 2:30 am one.  Both studies are gouache on yupo.  The trick for me will be when I get back to my studio -- how to keep the freshness and immediacy while adding the lushness of oil paint.  


After painting and then coffee on the beach -- whoever came up with the idea of putting so many coffee shops along the water and at the beach, thank you -- I went to the market to see if I could get the clams I was promised would be available today.  It turns out that around the corner of the market, there's a shellfish shop run by the mother of the guy I spoke to yesterday.  Maybe the only issue yesterday was that she was taking the day off.  In the photo, she's putting my clams in a bag.  In front of her are shrimp and conch (which, to my mind, make fine decorations for the bottom of an aquarium.  Not as food. There were also very big, fat crabs that looked very good).


From there, I went to the produce stand and put a leek and bunch of Italian parsley in my painting bag.  The leek and my collapsed easel were the same length, so I made a fine sight carrying a painting and a painting bag with a leek sticking out of it.  I was happy to join every other person out this sunny morning who was carrying a bag with some fish of some kind to take home.  I made a fine lunch of penne pasta with leeks, clams, wine, lemon and parsley. 











Comments

  1. Yum! The clams look awesome and I love that you got a taste for them one day, and went back to make sure you could get another day of them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts