Warning! A little morbid...


I painted this morning and this afternoon set out to see the Capelo dos Ossos in Alcantarilha, a mere 20 minutes away from me.  This Chapel of Bones is a 16th century chapel on the side of the Igreja Matriz de Nossa Senhora da Conceição with what's estimated to be bones from some 5,000 skeletons arranged to decorate its walls.  It's a small chapel, you can't actually walk more than a few steps into it.  There are other and larger Bone churches and structures in Evora and in Faro (and Paris and Prague etc) if this whets your appetite to see more.  For me, enough is as good as a feast and this was definitely enough.




As for the painting, I wanted to plan for a larger painting of the boats in the marina in Sagres, so I used the reference photo I'd taken to sketch out and then paint.  I could see this going a few different directions before it makes it to a final version when I'm back in my home studio with oil paint.  This is gouache on artboard.

PS -- "enough is as good as a feast" did not originate with Mary Poppins, it's an expression that goes back to at least the 1600s.




Comments

Popular Posts