Cliff Hangers

 


I've been taking photos of men fishing off of the cliff tops since I arrived.  This one was taken at sunset a few days ago.  Isn't the color of the sky amazing?  I'm sure the sky was lemon sorbet for a very short time before the light took on more and more orange and then red as the sun went down over the ocean.  I just love that.
'
But what I really want to point out is the guy, in the middle of the photo, seated on the edge of the cliff with a fishing pole,  He is on top of a cliff that might be 150 feet up from the ocean, maybe more.   Although he's fishing alone, there are a lot of like-minded fisherman along the coast.   I did see one reel in a small fish and I'm glad I haven't seen a large fish do the reverse and haul a fisherman off the cliff. 

This is at Sagres, where the cliffs are 200 feet high

This guy below was in a cliff cave above the beach near me this afternoon.   How he got there... and why?


I don't understand it, but I admire it.

I took a walk this morning along my cliff trail and also want to point out there are a lot of people who do not share my cliff-edge fears.  I took these photos from the relative safety of the fenced part of the trail.   The couple in the first photo walked right up to the tip where that tangent from the main trail trail apparently ended.  And the guy in the photo below that, standing on top of that cliff?  He went under the fence to walk out there.  




It was a relatively busy morning along the trail today and I did go further, using my trekking poles, than I had before. I think there was a Sunday meet-up group when I set out and they went off at a fast clip along the trail.  As for me, I'm grateful my metal knees got me as far as they did.


In addition to grocery shopping, I made progress with my yupo town painting today.  This could be where the study ends before I bring the work into the studio later this spring.


PS.  If you watched the PBS kid show "Between the Lions," you can join me now in singing "Cliff Hanger, hanging from a cliff and that's why he's called Cliff Hanger."  If not, never mind.  You missed out.



Comments

Popular Posts