Covid & Packing & the End of the Trip Art Show

I've gone into hiding so when I take my covid test on Sunday before my flight I can be sure that I won't test positive.  It seems odd to restrict seeing people when I'm about to go off on this adventure, but we are all being careful!  So far, Portugal is open and I'll have no trouble meeting the entry requirements.

My packing, however, is another story.  50 lbs per checked bag would normally not be a problem, but I'm worried about having the art supplies I need.  In spite of having identified at least one art supply store near where I'm headed, I want to be sure if non-essential stores are closed to reduce covid exposures, that my essential-to-me art supplies are in my suitcase.  They weigh a lot.  I have a suitcase weighing device and I've already decided that my usual painting suitcase that comes with me to Maine is too heavy for this trip.  I've also eliminated -- but am now reconsidering  -- the small folding chair I thought I'd bring to the beach with me when I want to paint there.   It's so useful either to sit on or to put a palette on ... hmm.

Mark your calendars for the end-of-the-trip show at Gallery B, 7700 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda MD, which will open Wednesday, May 4 2022.  The opening reception will be either Friday May 6 or Saturday May 7.  What I hope I'll have to show will be the studies I did in Portugal and the larger paintings I'll have done in the studio upon my return.

In the meantime, I'm finishing up work I've been doing in a workshop with Catherine Kehoe, in which I've been exploring ways to interpret old family photos and paint from them.  It's been really interesting to use simplified shapes, different color palates, collage and changing up values to increase or decrease contrast and so on.  I'll be interested to bring thoughts of what I've worked on in this workshop as I approach painting landscapes in my travels.






Comments

Popular Posts